Away with the 100 year old Silver-Mercury Filling Material...
Here are Some Facts to Consider…
- Mercury is considered a hazardous material
- NO amount of mercury is considered to be a safe ingestion amount
- Yet... Mercury leaches out of all silver fillings during the chewing process
Almost incredibly … the American Dental Association’s position on Mercury-Silver fillings in a “Cliffs-Notes” style synopsis is this…
Because no study has been performed to show the harmful effects of mercury released from silver-mercury fillings .... therefore, this material should be considered “safe”.
To this we say, What!? We have a proven harmful “heavy-metal” toxin that is considered by virtually any competent, state-of-the-art medical professional to be unsafe if ingested/inhaled at ANY level – and we are voluntarily packing it into patients’ teeth? Only to watch it to become ingested or inhaled as we chew! Incredulously, we say -- C'Mon Man!
Plaza Health Dentistry respects the opinion of the ADA, our “guiding light” organization. Thus, we do not officially recommend the routine removal of silver-mercury fillings. However, our patient education on the matter will not be deterred … allowing for an Informed Patient Choice .. as is always the case at PHD.
Putting aside, for a moment, the systemic health issues, here are a couple of more reasons why silver-mercury fillings are really a relic of the past (or at least should be).
- They are metallic, thus they expand and contract significantly with exposure to hot/cold (think coffee/ice cream), which can help to cause tooth fractures. (coefficient of thermal expansion).
- They are a 100+ year-old technology that relies on cutting undercuts into healthy tooth structure in order to get them to stay in place. This weakens an already weak tooth. Tooth fractures leading to more extensive and expensive dental treatment awaits (think root canals &/or crowns).
- Their substitute material, composite resin, is non-metallic, tooth colored and is bonded to tooth structure, thereby strengthening the cut tooth surface.
Check this link out for the full statement of the ADA on this subject…. http://www.ada.org/1741.aspx